Frequently asked questions

In relation to obtaining the POA approval to manufacture an article classified as ETSO, is it necessary to have applied for DOA approval, in addition to the ETSO authorisation for the article?

    As can be verified on the relevant EASA website (FAQ ETSO), the ADOA (or the DOA, in the case of an ETSO article that is an APU) and the POA must be, or have been previously requested.
     EASA is responsible for the
    DOA/ADOA and ETSO. The POA is responsible for EASA as the Aviation Authority of Spain. Therefore, the 3 approvals should be requested at the same time (approximately) from the respective Authority.
    Furthermore, in relation to the AOP, it is essential to recall point 21.A.133 (Eligibility):

    • The production activity to be carried out should be “appropriate” for approval under Part 21 Subpart G, as is the case with an ETSO article. In addition, and also essential to meet this criterion, it is direct delivery to final customer.
    • It must be owned or applied for approval of the design to be produced (which would be fulfilled when the DOA/ADOA application was made).
We are manufacturers of ULM in a country of the European Union, can the type certificate obtained in that country be validated in Spain?
How can I notify AESA that I have renewed the Airworthiness Certificate through the F-DC-AFIS-20 declarative format?

    If you do not have a digital certificateor Cl@ve , it can also be sent by registered post or through the other formal channels of the Administration to the following address: Paseo de la Castellana 112. 28046 Madrid, addressed to the Initial Air Navigation Division.


Where can I obtain information about this for obtaining an approval as a Production Organisation (POA)?
Where can I get information about this for obtaining a DOA?
Should GPS equipment be named in the Aircraft Station License?

    GPS equipment must not appear on the station license.

Should WIFI equipment be named in the Aircraft Station License?

    WIFI equipment must not appear on the station license.


Is it necessary to register in Spain a two-seat motorised trike of about 100 kg?

    All aircraft must comply with the obligations laid down in Law 48/1960 on Air Navigation. Article 151 provides for the following derogation: Aircraft with limited uses, technical characteristics and actions may be exempted, under the conditions laid down by regulation, from the requirements for entry in the Register of Aircraft and obtaining the certificate of airworthiness referred to in Articles 29 and 36 of this Law respectively. Royal Decree 384/2015 of 22 May 2015 approving the Regulation on the registration of civil aircraft implements this derogation for, among other types of aircraft: The following are exempt from the requirement of registration in the Aircraft Registration Register:

    1.- Paragliders: Non-rigid support structures are considered paragliders, for which take-off and landing requires only the physical effort of their occupants.

    2.- Motorised paragliders: Paragliders that have an auxiliary propulsion system, either supported by an occupant or by an auxiliary structure, are considered to be motorised paragliders or for engines.

    3.- Other aircraft requiring physical effort for take-off or landing, even if equipped with an auxiliary propulsion system to facilitate take-off.

    4.- Other aircraft whose total take-off weight, minus the pilot’s weight, is less than 70 kilograms. Therefore, foot launch paramotors and mini-trikes of less than 70 kg (empty weight + fuel) are explicitly excluded from registration. For heavier trikes, it would be necessary to consider whether paragraph 2.- can be applied, on the basis that the bearing surface is not rigid, requiring, in part, the pilot’s effort to acquire at take-off (and keep in flight) its form.

What is a Certificate of Airworthiness for? /How do I get it?

    A certificate of airworthiness is the document that accredits the aircraft to which it refers, as being in a position to fly when complying with certain safety requirements. AESA would be the authority responsible for issuing Aircraft Certificates for aircraft that are or will be registered in Spain. To apply for the Aircraft Certificate there is a user manual for EASA aircraft and a user manual for NO EASA aircraft (excluding amateur and experimental aircraft that have their own guide). This manual also indicates how to perform subsequent activities after obtaining the Certificate of Airworthiness, such as modifications, suspensions, etc.

What is a Flight Authorisation for? /How do I get it?

    A Flight Authorisation (also called Flight Permit) is a permit that is normally issued when the Aircraft Certificate is temporarily invalid and the aircraft is required to fly for established reasons. 

    The Authority or an Organisation with privileges may issue the Flight Authorisation provided it is under specified and approved flight conditions. There is an EASA Aircraft User Manual and a NO EASA Aircraft User Manual with instructions and information on how to obtain a Flight Authorisation. This manual also indicates how to perform subsequent activities after obtaining the Certificate of Airworthiness, such as modifications, suspensions, etc.