Frequently asked questions

The AMC1 BOP.ADD.030 (a) (6) refers to Full Time Employee What does Full Time Equivalent or Full Time Equivalent mean?
In the case of operating a balloon on competition flights, is it necessary to submit a declaration?

    Operators who conduct commercial operations with balloons, and who perform competitive flights, must include this type of specialised operation in their declaration.

    In the case of non-commercial operators participating in competition flights, the submission of a declaration in accordance with Article 3 of Regulation (EU) 2018/395 is not required, but as it is a specialised operation they must develop the corresponding checklist in compliance with the requirement BOP.BAS.190.

If I wish to apply for an authorisation to conduct commercial operations with manned hot air balloons or to modify the authorisation of which I hold before 08 April 2019 should I apply for authorisation or modification of the authorisation?

    Until 8 April 2019 the national legislation will continue to apply, so the conduct of commercial transactions with balloons is subject to the corresponding authorisation in accordance with Article 151 of Law 48/1960 of 21 July.

Does Regulation (EU) 2018/395 apply to operations with captive balloons?

    No. Article 1 of Regulation (EU) 2018/395 excludes operations with captive balloons from the scope of the regulation.

How often should the proficiency check required in BOP.ADD.315 be performed and who can perform it?

    The validity of the proficiency check is 24 months and should be carried out by a pilot holding an in-flight examiner certificate (FE) issued in accordance with Regulation (EU) 1178/2011.

What is the applicable regulatory framework for tourist flights with balloons?

    Until the entry into force of Regulation (EU) 2018/395 last year 2019, in order to carry out tourist flights with balloons it was necessary for the operator (company) to have an authorisation as an airwork company issued on the basis of the provisions of Law 48/1960 of 21 July.

    Since the entry into force of Regulation (EU) 2018/395 last April 2019, tourist flights are referred to as Commercial Passenger Balloon Flights or CPB, which are defined as a form of commercial air transport with balloons where passengers are transported for the purpose of tourism or flight experience in exchange for remuneration or other financial consideration.

    Strictly speaking, this is not an activity of air work but a type of commercial air transport. The reality is that both airwork and commercial air transport operations are commercial operations, i.e. the conduct of an advertising flight with a balloon or the transport of passengers are commercial operations.

    As regards the rating or authorisation regime, CPB requires the operator to submit a declaration of compliance (BOP.ADD.100) confirming that it is aware of and complies with the applicable standard and provides information on the operator and aircraft to be used.

What is the applicable regulatory framework for operating with a dirigible?

    The rules applicable to hot air airships are regulated by the European Regulation (EU) 2018/395 laying down detailed rules for the operation of balloons under Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council.

    Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/357 of 4 March 2020 regulates the licence to pilot hot airships, while the private pilot licence for airships is regulated by Regulation 1178/2011.

What are the applicable requirements for glider trawling?

    Since the past of July 9, 2019, to operate a glider has to comply with the requirements of Regulation (EU) 2018/1976 of the commission of 14 December 2018.

    • Air operations are sailplanes are listed in Annex II (Part-SAO).
    • To conduct commercial operations with sailplanes, it is necessary to submit a declaration of compliance that enables such operations to be carried out. This requires compliance with the provisions of Article 3 of the Regulation and with the ODS requirement.DEC.100 of Annex II (Part-SAO).
    • Glider trawl activity has 2 slopes:
    1. 1.  Whether the purpose is to carry out air advertising flights, i.e. towing of banners with powered sailplanes; it is considered as a specialised commercial operation, so the provisions of ODS.OP.155 must be complied with.
    2. 2.  If the purpose is towing sailplanes only, this is a normal commercial activity.

    For both activities, in addition, where the operations are carried out below the heights provided for in requirement SERA.5005(f) of Commission Regulation (EU) 923/2012, they shall be required to obtain an authorisation in accordance with:

    • Article 3 of Royal Decree 1180/2018 for flights below the minimum heights on agglomerations of persons. In this case it must be established that the transaction is in the general interest.
    • Article 33 of Royal Decree 1180/2018 for flights below minimum heights outside agglomerations of persons.

    Additional information can be found at the following links:


What are the requirements for launching unmanned free balloons, sonsa balloons, helium balloons and lanterns?
What are the requirements for the operation with captive balloons?

    Captive balloons are excluded from Commission Regulation (EU) 2018/395 of 13 March 2018 laying down detailed rules for the operation of balloons by Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council. Therefore, in the field of air operations, it does not require authorisation from the Air Works and General Aviation Service of AESA.

    In the case of a manned captive balloon, the pilot of the manned captive balloon should hold a balloon pilot licence (BPL) issued in accordance with Regulation (EU) 1178/2011 of 3 November 2011 with privileges to operate such balloons. The balloon must also have the corresponding certificate of airworthiness (EASA Form 25) and the Aircraft Review Certificate in force (EASA Form 15).

    However, if the operation is likely to affect a controlled airspace or aeronautical servitude area, it should be coordinated respectively with ENAIRE (Air Space Operational Coordination Department — —) and AESA (Aeronautical Services)